Monday, June 30, 2008

Genetic Testing In California

Blaine Bettinger has got an excellent piece on the California genetic testing controversy over at The Genetic Genealogist. I'm glad he's weighed in on this matter.

Last week, I issued a challenge to the industry and the state to come together in a neutral forum to discuss the issues. Next week, I plan to make a formal, concrete proposal to the parties. In the meantime, I'm doing some legal work to prepare for a potential resolution of the issue through the California administrative rulemaking process. I'll be describing that sometime after next week. As I said last week, I'm not entirely sure that the way the state reads the law actually would exclude testing for only "genealogical purposes," whatever that means. See the post about Dick Eastman's speech at the Southern California Jamboree and the upcoming post about genealogists collecting family medical data.

No comments: