Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Very Interesting Lunch . . . .

I sat next to a fellow named Keith Ritchardson from Oakland. He's developed software to fill in census forms with family-specific information. In other words, you can use the census form as a family group record. I've been looking for something like this. I got a CD from him and will evaluate it and report back in this space on a future date.

A blackboard had been placed in the area where lunch was being served. People wrote down names that they were researching. I wrote GINES, BRAYBOY, and LEJAY.

A few minutes ago, Ron McDowell got everyone's attention and asked, "Will the person who wrote 'Brayboy' on the board, please make himself known?" I raised my hand and then saw a smiling woman approaching. She sat down and said, "What do you know about the Brayboys?" I said, "They're in De Soto Parish, Louisiana." Her reaction was something like, "Get out!" Then I said, Syntrilla Brayboy was my great-great-mother." She looked astounded. To make a long story short (and not miss my next session), she's a Brayboy descendant. She knows how they got to Louisiana from South Carolina. We plan to meet for lunch tomorrow and exchange information.

2 comments:

Jasia said...

Oh, do tell Craig! I love stories like this. You've got me hooked. I'll be waiting to hear more about both the software and your Brayboy connection. Can't wait!

Dana Huff said...

That's so interesting! What a small world.