Monday, May 05, 2008

UPDATE: Register of U.S. Army Enlistments

Well, I am both gratified and chastened! In the comments to the original post below, Chad Milliner points out what should been obvious to me. That is, essentially, that the Register of U.S. Army Enlistments includes only original federal enlistments. Chad reminds us that in the 18th and 19th
centuries, American wars were fought largely by troops raised by the States. The Regular Army was very small. So the database is complete as to the years it covers for the enlistments in the U.S. Army.

And you'd think an old National Guardsman like me would have remembered that! (Don't tell anybody how badly I blew this one--they'll revoke my retirement and order me back into uniform for remedial training!).

Thanks, Chad, for keeping us straight!

No comments: