Sunday, May 04, 2008

Genealogist, Heal Thyself

Family historians and genealogists spend their time looking for folks who have long since passed away. Often, the lack of records or knowledge about where to find them creates frustration (or excitement for those who love the thrill of the chase!). But have we each asked ourselves whether future generations will be able to find us? More importantly, have we made the right plans so that those in the present can handle our passing without unnecessary complications?

Take some time today to ask yourself these questions:

  • Do I have a will?
  • Where is my will?
  • When was my will last updated?
  • Is there someone I trust who knows where my will is?
  • Is there someone I trust who has access to my will?
  • Have I preplanned (and prepaid) my final disposition?
  • Do my loved ones know what my wishes are for my final disposition? [IMPORTANT: Don't put these instructions in your will and do not keep them in a safe deposit box!].
  • Have I made adequate financial plans for my survivors?
These are simple questions that can save your surviving loved ones from many complications at your death. Seek legal advice or financial planning advice if necessary. It will be well worth it.

No comments: