Monday, February 18, 2008

Review Meme

Colleen of Orations of OMcHodoy and Bill West of West in New England have tagged me for a meme that started at Gautami's My Own Little Reading Room.

What issues/topic interests you most--non-fiction, i.e, cooking, knitting, stitching; there are infinite topics that has nothing to do with novels?


I read a lot of history these days; especially social and political history. I also read books that focus on identity: who are we and how did we get to be who we are. And of course, I read a lot of law!

Would you like to review books concerning those [topics]?

Yes, and I have. See here and here; there will be more coming.

Would you like to be paid or do it as interest or hobby? Tell reasons for what ever you choose.

I enjoy reading and reviewing books that I do it for free; if someone offered to pay me, I wouldn't turn them down (of course, having just admitted how cheaply I work guarantees that nobody will offer to pay me!).

Would you recommend those to your friends and how?


I always make recommendations.

If you have already done something like this, link it to your post.

See above and see here.

I have the following books on my shelf right now or in Google Books' "My Library":

Mistresses and Slaves: Plantation Women In South Carolina, 1830-1880, by Marli F. Weiner. Perhaps these white and black women had things in common that changed the way they interacted with each other from the way each interacted with men.

The Colored Aristocracy of St. Louis, by Cyprian Clamorgan (Julie Winch, ed.). Tell us how you really feel about your contemporaries, Mr. Clamorgan. No punches pulled here.

The Scientists, by John Gribbin. Astrophysicist Gribbin tells stories of the lives of history's greatest inventors. Highly readable; educational, and entertaining.

History of South Carolina, by Yates Snowden and Henry Gardner Cutler.

No comments: