Sunday, July 15, 2007

GeneaBlogie's Mid-Summer Project!

Over the last four or five weeks, I've teased a bit about some great project that's on its way. Well, the teasing is over and our great project has begun! Here it is: we are headed to Missouri on a major research trip . . . but the deal is we are going via Amtrak and for the first time ever there will be live genea-blogging from on board several Amtrak trains! By the time many of you read this (probably Monday a.m.), we expect to be settling in on Amtrak's Coast Starlight enroute from San Jose, California, to Los Angeles. We will overnight in L.A., then on Tuesday evening board Amtrak's Southwest Chief headed from Los Angeles for Kansas City. We'll arrive in Kansas City on Thursday morning. After brief lay-over, we head for St Louis on Amtrak's Anne Rutledge. We'll spend several days in eastern Missouri and southern Illinois, with planned excursions to Ste Genevieve, Missouri, and Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, among other places.

We'll head back to Kansas City to research in Clay County, Platte County, and Jackson County in Missouri, and Wyandotte County and Johnson County in Kansas. Then it's back home the way we came.

We'll be uploading photos (and may be video) all along the way.

As I said, we'll be posting from aboard the train!

I hope you'll join us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Major league jealousy in this corner!

I love train travel (Amtrak delays notwithstanding). I wish I could be there.

Looking forward to your reports; enjoy!

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Becky Wiseman said...

Same as George ;-) although the only train travel I've done was in Japan on the 'Bullet' train. I always thought it would be fun to take a cross-country train trip here in the U.S. especially if my Aunt Phyllis was along - she doesn't know a stranger and I'm sure we'd know everyone before long!

footnoteMaven said...

How wonderful!

I was born and raised in St. Francois County - the Lead Belt. Say hello to Missouri for me.

Still have friends and family there.

footnoteMaven