Friday, February 09, 2007

Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness II

As I reported a few days ago in this space, I decided to try out the website Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. I requested that a volunteer help me with a problem in Clay County, Missouri, specifically information on the marriage license of Ezekiel Johnson and Sarah Gilbert. I knew that this marriage had taken place in Clay County in 1867. I got a prompt reply from the volunteer. Unfortunately she had information only from 1910. She suggested that I contact the Clay County Historical Society. And that's what I intend to do. But more importantly, I wanted to report on the experience of using the RAOGK website. It was simple, and I got a prompt reply from a very nice volunteer.

So I will sign up to be a volunteer for RAOGK. And I urge others to do the same. It's a good way to help others which helps all of us in this endeavor. By the way, you can also make a donation to the organization. Or you can support it by buying merchandise from the RAOGK store. I bought a relative a tote bag that reads "My Roots Run Deep in Missouri." For a small fee, it will be shipped directly to her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for the nice articles regarding RAOGK. Hope to see your name soon among our list of volunteers.

The tote bag is very large and am sure your friend will enjoy it immensely.

Bridgett
RAOGK-Admin