Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My Typical American Connection

Fifth great-grandfather was cousin to signer of the Declaration of Independence



Just a few days ago I wrote about Ezekiel Johnson and his paternity. He was the son of Dan Carpenter (1825 -- 1920). Dan Carpenter's mother was Hannah Clark (1798 -- 1881). Hannah Clark's father was Samuel Clark (1768 -- 1854). Samuel Clark was the great-great grandson of Richard Clarke, who was born in the 1630s and died in 1697. Richard Clarke was also the great-grandfather of Abraham Clark (1726 -- 1794). Abraham Clark served New Jersey in a variety of public ways, one of which was signing the Declaration of Independence on behalf of New Jersey. Quite a lot has been written about Abraham Clark. For example, see here, here, and here. For some relatively decent documentation on Clark family genealogy, see here. I have seen independent documentation linking Samuel Clark to Richard Clarke and I would be glad to describe that to anyone who asks.

The point of this is that Samuel Clark is my fifth great-grandfather and he was a first cousin of Abraham Clark. Granted that it's not like being a direct descendant of a Mayflower passenger, but it's a typical example of many Americans' connection to the Founding Fathers. So it doesn't make me special; it does make me typically American.

For another example of how America has levelled the playing field, see the article linked here.

1 comment:

smarker said...

Craig,

I've stumbled across your blog while searching for more information on your ancestor, Samuel Clark (1768-1856). I'm not related (that I know of), but am interested in him because he volunteered to fight in the American Revolution at the age of 12 and because he died in Clinton Co., Missouri. Do you know where he is buried? As a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, we are in the process of locating, marking, and documenting the locations of soldiers who are buried in Missouri. I may be reached at smarker13@mchsi.com.

Thanks,

Brian Smarker
Harry S. Truman Chapter
Missouri Society of the Sons of the American Revolution