Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Research Note: Georgia Archives

Peach State Site Has Much to Offer

On my 2005 research trip to Georgia, I had really hoped to get to the Georgia State Archives in the Atlanta suburb of Morrow. I'd heard from several folks that it would be a worthwhile visit. Unfortunately, time and other circumstances conspired to keep me away from Morrow. But Georgia Secretary of State Cathy Cox, who has a reputation for technological innovation, is helping me and others who can't get to the Archives. She's expanding the online offerings, both the online images as well as the online indexes. Here's the link to the Georgia Archives. I like some of their images. For example, here is a copy of a document from the Civil War pension file of Henry F. Birdsong.



The image as downloaded from the Archives site is of higher quality than this Blogger.com-adjusted copy.

Henry F. Birdsong [1846-1936] was the fourth child of George Lawrence Forsyth Birdsong and Susan Francis Thweatt Birdsong. Sometimes known as "LaFayette" Birdsong, he was the brother of George Preston Birdsong.

No comments: