Sunday, September 12, 2004

Who the Hell Am I?! Who the Hell Are You?!

I came across the name of one of my cousins on a genealogy website. I'd never heard of her before, but I decided to write her a letter. "Dear K, You don't know me, but I'm your cousin. My mother, L, is your grandfather P's sister . . . ." That was seven months ago--still haven't heard from her.

One of my grandfathers had a fairly unusual (or so I thought) name. I was surprised then to find three other men, father, son, and grandson, with the same name. So I wrote them a letter. "Dear Messrs.------, You don't know me, but . . . . I can assure you I desire nothing but information for my research . . . ." That was three months ago, still haven't heard from them. They live about ten miles from me.

Cold-contacting is another one of those necessary evils of genealogy. I know how I would have felt a few years ago to get a letter like the ones I've sent. Oh well . . .

No comments: